The Bank of England unveiled its first bank notes featuring King Charles on Tuesday, which will enter into circulation from the middle of 2024 to gradually replace those featuring his mother Queen Elizabeth.
Charles became king in September following Queen Elizabeth’s death after 70 years on the throne.
The new five, 10, 20 and 50 pound polymer bank notes feature a portrait of Charles on the front, as well as a cameo of him in the bank notes’ see-through security window, but are otherwise unchanged from their current designs.
“This is a significant moment, as The King is only the second monarch to feature on our banknotes,” BoE Governor Andrew Bailey said in a statement.
Queen Elizabeth first appeared on BoE bank notes in 1960, in contrast to British coins which have long featured images of the country’s rulers.
Britain’s Royal Mint began issuing the first coins featuring Charles’s profile into general circulation on December. 8.
The BoE does not intend to withdraw bank notes featuring Queen Elizabeth until they are worn out, so the two types of note will both be in circulation for some years.
In other news – Zimbabwe records highest wheat harvest ever
Zimbabwe has reached a record breaking figure of 375 000 tonnes of wheat harvested this year only. Its the first time for the nation harvesting such a large quantity ever since it started growing wheat back in 1966.
Zimbabwe’s gross outcome lies between the private and the governmental farming institutions. Private farmers are expected to produce atleast 40% of the total leaving the other 60% to the government and this year they both managed to reach the set target. Learn More