Bubi, Matabeleland North – Deputy Higher Education Minister and Zanu PF Bubi legislator, Simelisizwe Sibanda, has been barred from accessing provincial party offices and attending Zanu PF gatherings following accusations of gross misconduct and bringing the party into disrepute. The directive, issued by the Zanu PF Matabeleland North provincial leadership, is part of a disciplinary process amid mounting concerns over Sibanda’s actions within party structures.
Provincial disciplinary committee chairperson Silas Maligo, in a letter dated Monday, outlined a series of charges against Sibanda, citing violations of the party constitution and conduct that undermines unity.
“Your behaviour has the potential to provoke division, disunity, or impact negatively on the unity of the party by creating and promoting your own parallel structures,” Maligo wrote.
According to the provincial leadership, Sibanda is accused of defying party structures and fostering discord by establishing parallel structures that operate outside the authority of the District Coordinating Committee (DCC). Other allegations include:
-
Refusing to cooperate with the Bubi DCC.
-
Publicly distancing himself from Zanu PF on social media, including on the Bubi Community Parliament platform, where he allegedly stated that he no longer represented the party in Parliament.
-
Claiming ownership of the Presidential Borehole Drilling Scheme by commissioning boreholes without consulting party leadership.
-
Presenting laptops donated by the ICT Ministry to schools as though they were personal contributions.
-
Making disparaging remarks against party leaders, allegedly embarrassing the DCC both publicly and on social media.
These charges, if proven, suggest a systematic pattern of behaviour deemed damaging to the party’s image and cohesion.
Deputy Higher Education Minister Simelisizwe Sibanda Barred from Zanu PF Activities Amid Misconduct Allegations
Following complaints lodged by the Bubi DCC, the provincial executive council convened on Sunday and resolved to issue a prohibition order against Sibanda, effective August 24. The order bars him from performing any duties as a DCC member, entering provincial or party offices, and attending any Zanu PF gatherings.
Sibanda has 21 days to respond to the allegations ahead of a full disciplinary hearing scheduled for November 19. The hearing will provide an opportunity for the legislator to present his defence and clarify his position within the party.
When contacted yesterday, Sibanda said he was unaware of the prohibition order. “I have not received formal notification of this order and will study the allegations once I have full documentation,” he told reporters.
This is not the first time the outspoken legislator has courted controversy. In July last year, President Emmerson Mnangagwa removed Sibanda from his deputy ministerial post following a public outcry over his transfer of an early childhood development teacher in Bubi district. The decision, reportedly based on the teacher’s alleged lack of proficiency in isiNdebele, sparked widespread criticism. Sibanda was reinstated weeks later after issuing what insiders described as “profuse apologies.”
Observers note that Sibanda has built a reputation as a bold and independent-minded politician, frequently speaking out on issues affecting his constituency. However, critics argue that his confrontational approach has increasingly clashed with party discipline, raising questions about his long-term political standing.
The prohibition order against Sibanda underscores Zanu PF’s ongoing struggle to contain internal dissent within its provincial ranks. Analysts suggest that the party is intent on sending a strong signal to members that defiance of party structures and public criticism of leadership will not be tolerated.
“This action is part of a broader strategy by Zanu PF to maintain cohesion and discipline ahead of key electoral milestones,” said a political analyst familiar with provincial dynamics. “Matabeleland North has historically been a sensitive region for the party, and any perceived disloyalty is treated seriously.”
The upcoming disciplinary hearing on November 19 is likely to draw significant attention, as it may determine whether Sibanda will continue to hold influence within the party or face further sanctions. Party insiders say the case will be closely monitored for precedent, given the high-profile nature of the legislator and his previous controversies.
For constituents in Bubi, the latest developments raise questions about representation and leadership in the district. While supporters praise Sibanda for his outspokenness and advocacy for local issues, opponents argue that his actions risk destabilising party structures and undermining collective governance.
As Zanu PF navigates the challenge of balancing loyalty, discipline, and internal democracy, the fate of Deputy Higher Education Minister Simelisizwe Sibanda will serve as a litmus test for how the party manages dissent and enforces accountability in its provincial structures.
Source- ZimEye